Current:Home > InvestJonathan Majors Found Guilty of Assault and Harassment in Domestic Violence Case -Capitatum
Jonathan Majors Found Guilty of Assault and Harassment in Domestic Violence Case
Rekubit View
Date:2025-04-07 07:30:18
Jonathan Majors was found guilty on some charges in his assault case.
A jury determined Dec. 18 that the Lovecraft Country star is guilty of misdemeanor assault and harassment, according to NBC News. He was also found not guilty on one count of assault in third degree and one count of aggravated harassment.
The charges stemmed from an alleged March 25 incident with his ex-girlfriend Grace Jabbari, who said the Marvel actor physically assaulted her after she grabbed his phone to see alleged texts between him and another woman. Prosecutors accused Majors of slapping Jabbari's face and fracturing one of her middle fingers, per the outlet.
The 34-year-old was arrested at the time, when police responded to a 9-1-1 call that was made from inside a New York City apartment, the NYPD previously confirmed to E! News.
During the trial, Jabbari testified that she felt "on edge" during her relationship with Majors.
"I had low self-esteem, I lost a lot of weight," the British dancer said in court, per NBC News. "I felt really dependent on him because he was the only one who knew what went on. I still did try to see my friends and family but I felt like I was lying to them. I felt isolated."
She said the pair were riding in the back of a car on the day of the alleged attack, when she saw a text from "Cleopatra" on his phone that read, "Wish I was kissing you."
"I was so taken aback," Jabbari testified, saying Majors kept telling her, "Baby baby, it's not what it seems."
Majors—who now faces up to one year in jail—has maintained his innocence in the case.
"Jonathan Majors is completely innocent and is probably the victim of an altercation with a woman he knows," his lawyer Priya Chaudhry said in a March 26 statement to E! News. "We are quickly gathering and presenting evidence to the District Attorney with the expectation that all charges will be dropped imminently."
NBC News has reached out to his attorney for comment.
(E! and NBC News are both part of the NBCUniversal family.)
For the latest breaking news updates, click here to download the E! News AppveryGood! (6875)
Related
- Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
- UBS to pay $1.44 billion to settle 2007 financial crisis-era mortgage fraud case, last of such cases
- NFL preseason Week 1 winners, losers: Rough debuts for rookie QBs
- Funyuns and flu shots? Gas station company ventures into urgent care
- Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
- Ford F-150 Lightning pickup saves the day for elderly man stranded in wheelchair
- Trial for Hunter Biden is not inevitable, his attorney says
- Ashley Olsen Gives Birth to First Baby: Everything to Know About Husband Louis Eisner
- Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
- 'Only Murders in the Building' Episode 3: How to watch Season 3; schedule, cast
Ranking
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- Full transcript of Face the Nation, August 13, 2023
- Paul Heyman fires back at Kurt Angle for criticizing The Bloodline 'third inning' comments
- Sex, murder, football: Aaron Rodgers, New York Jets visit 'Chicago' musical on Broadway
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- Broadway-bound revival of ‘The Wiz’ finds its next Dorothy, thanks in part to TikTok
- Ashley Olsen Privately Gives Birth, Welcomes First Baby With Husband Louis Eisner
- 'Last Voyage of the Demeter': Biggest changes from the Dracula book to movie (Spoilers!)
Recommendation
Mets have visions of grandeur, and a dynasty, with Juan Soto as major catalyst
Mother arrested after 10-year-old found dead in garbage can at Illinois home, officials say
Just how hot was July? Hotter than anything on record
Lucas Glover tops Patrick Cantlay to win FedEx St. Jude Championship on first playoff hole
The Daily Money: Spending more on holiday travel?
Glover beats Cantlay in playoff in FedEx Cup opener for second straight win
Community with high medical debt questions its hospitals' charity spending
Police seize Nebraska dispensary products for THC testing